Leadership Ocala/Marion (LOM) is designed to engage, develop, and inspire developing leaders in our community. LOM seeks to prepare, involve and sustain leaders from diverse backgrounds who are committed and competent to address community challenges and improve the business climate, economy and quality of life in Ocala and Marion County.
The Leadership Ocala/Marion (LOM) program is designed to enhance participants awareness of our community and its needs by examining how leadership in the historical, geographical, educational, economic, governmental and cultural segments work together to perpetuate and advance the Ocala/Marion County community and its citizens.
The program is also designed to nurture and engage the leadership skills of potential and developing leaders by providing an atmosphere that stimulates and fosters diverse viewpoints, resulting in innovative answers to the critical questions facing our community. The program strives to create awareness and to connect leaders with issues; it is not a traditional academic leadership training program. Further, the program is not political and does not recommend and advocate policy positions on public matters.
Leadership Ocala/Marion is a nine-month program which runs from September through May. Participants are selected each spring through an application process based upon their past involvement in the community and their ability to set and achieve high personal goals. New classes embark each year on a journey to understand the inner-workings of our area, including economic development, quality of life, human services, government, justice, agriculture and education.
A new feature of the leadership programs is Positive Leadership. Based on research and best practices, this curriculum presents a fresh approach that combines leadership and personal development. Participants say, “I can’t get enough of this text. Besides the wonderful people in my class, this was my #2 takeaway" and “I appreciate each chapter, and felt challenged to reflect on my own leadership capacities and where I can improve.”
- To identify and inspire future and current community leaders.
- To develop leadership skills and qualities of participants through in-depth views of the county.
- To stimulate communication among present and future leaders.
- To assist those already in leadership roles to increase their access to additional positions of community leadership in an informed and responsible manner.
Since the program began in 1987, there have been over 825 participants. Leadership Ocala/Marion graduates have served in key leadership positions within their businesses and organizations. Alumni are community-minded individuals; employed by large corporations, small non-profit organizations, cultural institutions, and everything in between.
Graduates of the Leadership Ocala/Marion adult program refer to it as one of the most rewarding and meaningful experiences of their adult careers and lives. Though the program is designed as a community training and leadership program, alumni regularly attest to the fact that the Leadership experience has a significant positive impact on their careers and personal lives as well.
Benefits of Leadership Ocala/Marion
Benefits to the Employers
- An employee who is much better educated about the community
- An employee whos leadership skills are strengthened, which strengthens your enterprise and enriches your organization
- An employee that is engaged in a new and growing network of leaders and professionals in the region
- Your business is positioned as an organization committed to community quality of life issues
Benefits to the Participants
- Receive a hands-on, personal view of the issues and challenges facing the community
- Discover leadership strengths, and a sharpen critical skills that are essential for effective, results oriented leadership
- Strengthen your sense of personal vision and power
- Reap the rewards of networking with an expanding and diverse group of community leaders.
- Discover opportunities to make a commitment on behalf of the community
Benefits to the Community
- An increasing source of informed and dedicated leaders for our community
- An improved communications network among civic, social, educational, and business leaders
- The interests of potential leaders are matched with the needs of the community
- A leadership base with a broadened perspective that is prepared to more effectively guide Ocala and Marion County into the future